Gustave Courbet, Stone-Breakers, 1849
Things to think about when studying:
- This is an example of what movement?
- Why was this subject matter so radical for the time? Who are these people and why is Courbet painting them?
Robert Smithson, Spiral Jetty, 1970. Located in Great Salt Lake, Utah, United States.
Things to keep in mind while studying:
- This work is part of what movement?
- Why is location so important? How does Smithson use the specific site to create the work?
- How does the viewer play a role? Why is his or her involvement important?
The insect quire (Summer version) by Masuyama Sessai (1754 - 1819).
Edo period (19th century).
Tokyo National Museum.